He is one of the three Hyrulean Soldiers assigned to guarding Kakariko Village; the other two (at the entrance to the Village and near Impa's house) are the ones who tell Link what the in-game time is.
Link must give Zelda's Letter to the Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper, after that, the Gatekeeper will open the gate and anyone can pass. If Link shows the letter to the guard before buying the Hylian Shield, he can get a discount between 10 to 40 Rupees at the Bazaar.
His son asked him to get a Keaton Mask, so he will buy it for 15 Rupees from Link after getting it borrowed from the Happy Mask Shop. If Link refuses to give him the mask, the guard will close the gate until Link sells him the mask. If Link leaves the village or enters and exits a building, the gate will be open again.
Once he receives the Keaton Mask from Link, he will wear it for the rest of the game, despite the fact that he claimed it was for his son.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239 (OoT)
- "Climb up the stairs at the north end of the village to find the trail that leads up Death Mountain. But you need the King's permission to actually go up the mountain." — Soldier (Ocarina of Time)
- "If you go back to Hyrule Castle Town Market, you should check out the Bazaar. They sell the shield you need there. Tell 'em I sent you and they should give you a special discount!" — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey! It's a Keaton Mask!! I asked my daddy to get me one, too!" — Graveyard Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- "Have you been to the Happy Mask Shop that just opened in the Hyrule Castle Town Market? Everyone is talking about it! My little boy pesters me for a popular mask, but I don't have time to go there...So, could you go and get the mask for me next time you are in the Market? If you don't feel like it, that's OK, but...Well, I have no choice, this is my job...sigh..." — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper (Ocarina of Time)
- "My boy will be very happy with this! You really are Mr. Hero!" — Death Mountain Trail Gatekeeper (Ocarina of Time)