Cursed Rich Man
|Cursed Rich Man|
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Cursed Rich Man and his five sons, who are also cursed, reside within the House of Skulltula in Kakariko Village. They were once excessively affluent, but they fell to a curse because of their greed and were forced to assume the form of Skulltulas. Upon Link's visit, the father explains that the only way their curse will be lifted is if all of the Gold Skulltulas around Hyrule are destroyed and if their Tokens are collected.
The man persuades Link to help them by promising the young hero great riches if the father and his sons are all freed from their curse. Link must seek out and destroy the 100 Gold Skulltulas to restore the family back to its former state. Link earns their grateful awards each time he destroys a the Gold Skulltulas in intervals of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 100.
In Majora's Mask, the Cursed Rich Man was cursed by the Swamp Spider House. According to him, someone told him that he could become rich by visiting this House and gave him the Mask of Truth. The person said that the instructions to become rich were written somewhere in the Spider House, but as the man went in to go look, he befell a curse and turned into a Skulltula-like creature. The only method to lift the curse is for the 30 Gold Skulltulas in the house to be killed and their Spirits harvested as proof of their defeat.
After all 30 of the Gold Skulltulas are defeated and the curse is lifted, the Cursed Rich Man will give Link the Mask of Truth.
- In Ocarina of Time, the family's fame on account of their wealth brought word of them as far as Zora's Domain.
- It is possible to strike any of the cursed family members with a sword strike in their back, they will cry in pain and be stunned for a moment. When they are no longer stunned they will spin around once, which may hurt Link, and if Link approaches them again they will attack him one time. After that they will become peaceful again. Leaving the house and then reentering also returns any of them back to their normal behavior.
- In Majora's Mask, the Cursed Rich Man's Dog is also in the Spider House, and on the First Day, he says his master's eyes are always filled with greed. On the Second and Third Days, however, his speech is different; his thoughts indicate that he used to be a racing dog at the Doggy Racetrack at Romani Ranch.
- In Majora's Mask, the man seeking for shelter at the Oceanside Spider House resembles one of the children of the Cursed Rich Man from Ocarina of Time.
- Similar to the rich family cursed by the Skulltula, in Twilight Princess, Link must save a man named Jovani, who has sold his soul to the Poes for untold riches, by obtaining 60 Poe Souls.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Homme maudit (OoT | MM3D)||Cursed man|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239 (OoT) & 244 (MM)
- "Folks around here tell of a fabulously rich family that once lived in one of the houses in this village... But they say that the entire family was cursed due to their greed! Who knows what might happen to those who are consumed by greed..." — Professor Shikashi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Rrr-ruff! Stupid master... His eyes are always filled with greed and desire..." — Dog (Majora's Mask)
- "We all look like this because of the spider's curse. If every Spider of the Curse in the entire world were destroyed, the curse would be broken." — Cursed Rich Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "If you break the curse on my family, we will make you very rich..." — Cursed Rich Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "The curse has been broken! Thank you! Here's a reward for you!" — Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ah! Help me! I am not a monster! The spider's curse... It made me this way..." — Cursed Rich Man (Majora's Mask)
- "You see, a while back, someone told me I could become rich and he gave me this mask. He said the instructions were inscribed somewhere in here, but when I went to look, I was cursed!" — Cursed Rich Man (Majora's Mask)
- "If you lift the curse...I'll teach you...something good...Hurry...Please...This is awful... In here...The gold ones...The cursed spiders...Defeat them all...Make me normal...again..." — Cursed Rich Man (Majora's Mask)
- "If I had known it would be such an ordeal, I never would have taken it. I'm getting rid of it!" — Cursed Rich Man (Majora's Mask)
- "You say you want to buy a Zora Tunic? That tunic is made of the finest material, and is therefore exceedingly expensive! In fact, I'm afraid only that very rich family in Kakariko Village can afford this fine garment..." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Rrr-ruff! I've had it with this foolish master... What's a racing dog like me doing in a place like this? Oh, how I miss the ranch..." — Dog (Majora's Mask)
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 239
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 244