June 15, 2005
Zeldapedia was a wiki hosted on Fandom (formerly known as Wikia) that was focused on The Legend of Zelda series. The wiki was created on June 15, 2005 by Champion Kai. In June 2007, a merger between Zeldapedia and Zelda Wiki was proposed by Wikia co-founder Angela Beesley. The proposal was rejected by staff members on both sites.
In November 2010, Wikia disabled the Monaco skin and enabled the Oasis skin. This decision prompted a discussion on Zeldapedia on whether the wiki should continue to be hosted on Wikia or not, with the majority of the users being in favor of the former.
In June 2019, after Curse Media (and, by extension, Gamepedia and Zelda Wiki itself) was purchased by Fandom, another merger between Zeldapedia and Zelda Wiki was proposed. Unlike the previous proposal, both staff and the communities on both sites agreed to merge onto Zelda Wiki, with the majority of the community agreeing to the merger. On June 15, 2019, coincidentally marking Zeldapedia's fourteenth anniversary, the English wiki was shut down and its community merged with Zelda Wiki and Zelda Universe. The other language counterparts currently remain active.
Characteristics and Policies
Like other wikis at Fandom, Zeldapedia set its own policies. This resulted in certain differences from Zelda Wiki. Much like other Fandom wikis, Zeldapedia had allowed anonymous, non-registered, users to edit, but an update of the COPPA Act prompted Fandom as a whole to end anonymous editing on wikis with a target audience of thirteen and under.
One notable policy difference between Zeldapedia and Zelda Wiki was the usage of citations and references which, while core principles here at Zelda Wiki, largely went unused at Zeldapedia.
Fandom as a whole is run by its own staff, and each individual wiki has their own governing body. Zeldapedia's staff prior to the merger in 2019 was as follows:
Spin off wikis
Zeldapedia had a number of spin-off wikis, including the Zelda Fanon Wiki.
Zeldapedia incorporated a number of sub-wikis for various languages, all of which had since moved over to Zelda Wiki after the merger. As of February 2020, the largest of these are the Spanish and French wikis, with approximately 4,500 and 3,900 articles respectively.
In November of 2011, after the affiliation between ZeldaInformer and Zelda Wiki ended, ZeldaInformer and Zeldapedia affiliated together. The affiliation lasted until July of 2013.
- "...Angela was quite interested in, well, seeing Zelda Wiki perhaps move to Wikia. But not just that - she was also interested in merging ZW.org with Wikia's already existing Zelda Wiki..." —Jason Rappaport (Zelda Wiki:News 2007)
- "Our wiki and theirs, although compatible, would take a TON of work to merge together. On top of that, the promised increase in traffic did not justify this insane amount of work, nor did it justify actually having to move the wiki to Wikia, where we'd all lose control over the site, as well as ownership of the site. Wikia refers to their wikis AS "their" wikis - and that doesn't work well with what ZW.org really stands for, and that's not being TRULY owned by anybody. But, obviously, as the technical owner of the domain I had to make some sort of decision, and in the end, with the input of the other owners and some friends, it was unanimously decided not to move to Wikia or to merge with Wikia's Zelda Wiki." —Jason Rappaport (Zelda Wiki:News 2007)
- Forum:Moving, Zeldapedia.
- Announcement to all Editors, Zeldapedia.
- Official Crossover Voting Thread, Zeldapedia.
- This wiki has been archived and moved to Gamepedia, Zeldapedia.