|Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia|
Bulbapedia is the largest English language wiki covering the Pokémon series by Nintendo. Established on Valentine's Day of 2005, the site was named for the first Pokémon in the Pokédex, Bulbasaur. Bulbapedia is a founding member of the larger Encyclopaediae Pokémonis, which interconnects Pokémon wikis of currently eight different languages. Bulbapedia is the largest sector of the website Bulbagarden, which also features wikis dedicated to Pokémon news in Bulbanews, and the media repository Bulbagarden Archives to link images for use on Bulbapedia, Bulbanews, and Bulbagarden RPGwiki.
When asked by Zelda Wiki to become an affiliate, it was instead suggested that rather than becoming simple affiliates, the two would seek out a partnership with Super Mario Wiki to build an alliance of independent wikis chronicling Nintendo series, being that their subjects, the Zelda, Super Mario, and Pokémon series are the largest three Nintendo series. The Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance network was founded and launched from these talks on Bulbapedia's 5th anniversary, February 14th, 2010.
While Archaic, the owner of Bulbagarden, is not directly involved with the wiki, he retains the highest authority on the wiki, able to make decisions for the good of the site overall. Much of the daily management falls to Bulbapedia's Editorial Board, who set policy, issue statements, choose staff members, and appoint temporary powers to members to ensure continued function.
Relations with other wikis
- Pokémon - Bulbapedia is a founding member of Encyclopædiæ Pokémonis, a project featuring Pokémon wikis for other languages. To date, the project includes the German PokéWiki, the Japanese Pokémon Wiki, the French Poképédia, the Spanish WikiDex, the Italian Pokémon Central Wiki, and the Chinese 52Poké Wiki. Former members of the project include the Polish Wikinezka, the Portuguese LANDpedia, and the Spanish Pokéteca. Each wiki operates independently, while linking to other members of the alliance.
- Nintendo- Along with Zelda Wiki and Super Mario Wiki, Bulbapedia was one of the founding members of the Nintendo Independent Wiki AllianceWorking closely together, the NIWA wikis aim to encourage wikis to seek independent hosting and expand as a community.
- Fandom/Wikia - Bulbapedia has had strained relationships with its Fandom/Wikia counterpart The Pokémon Wiki and had conflicts with Fandom staff entirely over claims presented to them. Bulbapedia also had repeatedly rejected offers from Fandom to transfer Bulbapedia to their servers.
From the setup on December 21st, 2004, Bulbapedia has passed many milestones and humbly kept track of their growth.
- For the full stats list see here.
- ...had its 1,500,000th edit on August 8, 2011!
- ...created its 22,000th article on December 21, 2012!
- ...celebrated the seventh anniversary of public editing on February 14, 2012!
- ...reached its 150,000,000th page view on April 13, 2008!
- ...attained 16 Featured Articles
- "In National Pokédex order, it is the first Pokémon, and is as well the first Pokémon in the Kanto Pokédex and Fiore Browser." — Bulbapedia, (html).
- "An attempt was made by Wikia early in Bulbapedia history that would have seen Bulbapedia become part of the Wikia enterprise. It was, clearly, unsuccessful." — Bulbapedia, (html).