Chris Houlihan is only mentioned through a Telepathy Tile found inside a secret room which also contains 45 Blue Rupees. The room is a failsafe that the game sends Link to when it detects an error in his Y coordinate. Five different methods can be used to access it, all of which use the Pegasus Shoes and some of them Bombs.
- Chris Houlihan is only mentioned in the English version of A Link to the Past. Other languages simply state that it is a secret room.
- It is believed that Chris Houlihan was the winner of a Nintendo Power contest held during September and October of 1990, where the winner would have their name programmed into a future NES game. This was first stated in the December 1994 issue of Club Nintendo, the official Nintendo magazine for Latin America. However, the winner of the contest was never revealed by Nintendo Power and Chris Houlihan has never been confirmed to even be a real person.
- "Let's say that you and Luis Alberto Moya made us seek like crazy; Luis told us that Chris' room would appear on top of the pyramid and, when trying to see what this room was all about, we spent a long time [searching] and did not get to see this secret room. We thought that it could have been a type of bug, but when we received another letter mentioning this room somewhere else and [we were] still unable to find it, we decided to talk directly to whom created the game, so we asked our friends at Nintendo and they informed us that it is a room that appears randomly and there are cartridges where it will never appear. Chris Houlihan is the name of the boy that won a Nintendo Power contest and with it he also won the right to have his name programmed in the Zelda-A Link to the Past game." (Club Nintendo December 1994 Issue (Editorial Samra) pg. 3)
- "My name is Chris Houlihan. This is my top secret room. Keep it between us, OK?" — Telepathy Tile (A Link to the Past)
- MaddHatts, 5 Different Entrances to the Chris Houlihan Room, YouTube (video), published February 15, 2010, retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Triforce Legend, Salle de Chris Houlihan dans A Link to the Past (GBA), YouTube (video), published October 9, 2013, retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "ここは、秘密の部屋だよ~ん。みんなにはないしょだよ~ん。" — Telepathy Tile (A Link to the Past)
- "Dies ist mein ganz geheimes Zimmer. Das bleibt aber unter uns, ja?" — Telepathy Tile (A Link to the Past)
- "C'est ma pièce la plus secrète. Que cela reste entre nous, ok ?" — Telepathy Tile (A Link to the Past)
- "Have you ever imagined yourself in a NES game? Well, this is your chance! If you meet Warmech, snap a photo of him and send it to the address below by October 15, 1990. One winner will be randomly selected, and his or her name will be programmed into a future Nintendo game!" (Nintendo Power Volume 16 (Nintendo Power) pg. 13)