|Cave of Ordeals|
The entrance to the Cave of Ordeals
The cave is located below the Gerudo Mesa, and can be accessed any time after restoring the Bridge of Eldin, as warping it back to its original location will reveal the entrance. The dungeon contains a total of fifty floors. However, to make it into the deeper floors, Link will need weapons and items from further along in the game. Within the cave, Link has to fight his way through hordes of enemies, and only by defeating each enemy within that room will he be able to progress to the next floor.
After every ten floors, there is a Fountain in which the Great Fairy appears and grants the power of Fairies at each Spirit Spring. On the last floor, the Great Fairy will reward the young hero with a Bottle full of Great Fairy's Tears. Upon reaching the final floor, the Great Fairy will also give Link unlimited Great Fairy's Tears at the Spirit Springs, but only when he does not already have some in a Bottle.
In addition to ordinary enemies, Link can also find three Poes in total on certain floors. Once they are defeated, the Poes will no longer appear on their respective floors.
- Reaching the 10th Floor releases Fairies into Ordon Spring.
- Reaching the 20th Floor releases Fairies into Faron Spring.
- Reaching the 30th Floor releases Fairies into Eldin Spring.
- Reaching the 40th Floor releases Fairies into the Spring of the Spirit Lanayru.
- Reaching the 50th Floor fills a Bottle with Great Fairy's Tears. It also allows Link to collect more Tears by revisiting any of the Spirit Springs, so long as he does not already have some in a Bottle. However, he can fill another Bottle each time he completes the cave, for a maximum of four Bottles of Fairy's Tears.[verification needed]
- The Cave of Ordeals plays the same role as the Savage Labyrinth from The Wind Waker; the difference being that the Cave of Ordeals requires the main items from the Lakebed Temple, Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, the Temple of Time, and the City in the Sky in order to explore all of the floors and fully clear it. Another difference is that the Cave of Ordeals is completely optional, while the first 31 rooms of the Savage Labyrinth must be completed in order to progress in the game.
- The second time completing the Cave, on the last ledge before the Great Fairy, the Postman can be found squatting down trying to read a letter.
- The Cave can be exited anytime between floors 1 and 41 if Link brings Ooccoo Jr. This is not possible on floors 42 - 50, which require the Double Clawshots to access, because Ooccoo warps the young hero to the Shop, and the dungeon cannot truly be exited with Ooccoo Jr. in the inventory.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||試練の洞窟 (Shiren no Dōkutsu)||Cave of Trials|
|FrenchEU||Caverne de l'ordalie||Cavern of the ordeal|
|Italian||Grotta della prova||Cave of the trial|
|SpanishEU||Caverna de las Pruebas||Cavern of Trials|
- "Twilight Princes
The Great Fairy is found in the Cave of Ordeals and reigns over all fairies as their queen." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 23(TP))
- "Welcome, Hero, to the Cave of Ordeals. I am the Great Fairy. I reign over all fairies of this realm as their queen. In praise of your efforts thus far, I will release fairies to Ordon Spring." — Great Fairy (Twilight Princess)
- "It is impressive that you have made it this far. Your trust in your skills is your greatest asset. You cleared many ordeals... How impressive. In praise of your courage, I will give you this blessing. Drink this and you should be able to clear any difficulties that you might encounter ahead." — Great Fairy (Twilight Princess)
- "If ever you need my assistance again, visit any spring." — Great Fairy (Twilight Princess)