Business Scrubs appear all across the land, wherever profit can be gained from selling Link items he may need during his journey. Often thinking that Link is an enemy, they fire Deku Nuts at him to keep him away whenever he is within their range. By reflecting one of the Deku Nuts back at them, they will surrender and offer Link a deal on useful merchandise, often items such as Deku Sticks, Arrows, Bombs, or Potions, though they often charge more in price than local Markets would to make profit. If Link declines their offers, the Business Scrubs often flee.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Business Scrubs appear in a multitude of places. They can be found underground, selling items such as Bombs, Potions, Arrows, and Deku Nuts. One Scrub can be found in Dodongo's Cavern, selling Deku Shields. Another can be found in Hyrule Field inside a Secret Grotto nearby the entrance of Lake Hylia, selling a Piece of Heart. Two others can be found hidden in the Lost Woods, selling Link Deku Stick and Deku Nut upgrades.
There are seven Business Scrubs in Majora's Mask. Two of them run the Deku Scrub Playground in North Clock Town. The other five are merchants spread across the five regions of Termina. They are members of the Business Scrub Association and are the participants in the Trading Quest, of which the first part is required to complete the game. The Trading Quest consists of exchanging Title Deeds between Business Scrubs so they can fulfill their dreams of moving to different regions. Each of the five Deku Flowers vacated by one of the Scrubs can be used to reach a Piece of Heart.
The Scrub who owns the yellow Deku Flower in South Clock Town has already sold out his wares ahead of the Carnival of Time. He wishes to return to his home village, but not before buying a Moon's Tear as a souvenir for his wife. When Link gives him one, he gives the Town Title Deed in return, then leaves Clock Town with his belongings. Deku Link can then use the vacant Deku Flower to reach the platform in front of Clock Tower.
If Link then returns to the Astral Observatory and looks through the telescope, he will see the Business Scrub leave Clock Town and go into a Cave in Termina Field just outside the Observatory. If Link enters the cave and speaks to the Business Scrub, he will explain that it is his secret storage. He will sell Link a Piece of Heart for 150 Rupees in exchange for keeping it a secret. Refusing the offer will prompt the Scrub to lower the price to 100 Rupees. If Link declines again, or cannot afford it,[verification needed] the Business Scrub loses his patience and leaves for the remainder of the three-day cycle. Even if Link accepts the offer and buys the Piece of Heart, the Scrub decides to move his storage to be safe.
Oracle of Seasons
Business Scrubs lay hidden beneath certain bushes that cannot be cut or destroyed, and will pop up when Link walks near them in Oracle of Seasons. Unlike other incarnations of Business Scrubs, they will not attack Link. The Business Scrubs often sell Shields, and their prices can vary from Scrub to Scrub. A few others sell Bombs and Mystical Seeds. A certain Business Scrub in Spool Swamp offers Link helpful information for his quest in order to entice him to buy a Shield.
Oracle of Ages
The Minish Cap
|Business Scrub (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|Appears in caves, etc.|
Normally stay underground. They'll pop
out and spit seeds at you, but if you
get to know 'em, they're not so bad.
Link first encounters a Business Scrub in The Minish Cap when one blocks the route to Hyrule Castle during the Picori Festival. It hits Princess Zelda with a Deku Nut, and she asks Link to do something about it.
Once Link uses his newly acquired Small Shield to deflect the Deku Nut, the Business Scrub apologizes, stating that it had only come because it had hoped to sell its merchandise at the Festival; however, as it unintentionally shoots Deku Nuts whenever it opens its mouth, its customers had been scared away without buying anything. It returns home to its cave, clearing the path north to Hyrule Castle.
Throughout his journey across Hyrule, Link can fight and pacify Business Scrubs in order to buy items or gain information. In some cases this is necessary in order for him to proceed; one Business Scrub in Trilby Highlands will sell Link an Empty Bottle for 20 Rupees so that he can water Crenel Beans and progress up Mount Crenel. A second Business Scrub on Mount Crenel will sell Link the Grip Ring for 40 Rupees, allowing him to scale rocky walls.
Business Scrubs are often found behind walls that require the use of a Bomb to access, though others are found in Trees. One Business Scrub in Castor Wilds will Fuse Kinstone Pieces with Link after being pacified, opening a Tree in the Minish Woods with a different Business Scrub inside. This particular Business Scrub will sell Link Kinstone Pieces, and also has two Kinstone Fusions available. The first Fusion causes a crack to appear in Castor Wilds with a Chest containing a red Kinstone Piece inside. The second Fusion results in a Golden Octorok appearing in Western Wood.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||アキンドナッツ (Akindo Nattsu) (OoT | TMC)||Business Nut|
|FrenchEU||Peste Marchande (MM3D)||Merchanding Nuisance|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Business Scrubs were referred to as Akindo Nuts in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide by Versus Books. However, as this contradicts the name given in-game, it is not considered Canon.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 169 (OoT | OoT3D | TMC) & 244 (MM | MM3D)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide (Versus Books) pg. 11
- "I give up! If you let me go, I will sell you a Deku Shield! It's 50 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "All right! You win! In return for sparing me, I will sell you a Piece of Heart! 1 piece 10 Rupees it is!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Sticks! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Nuts! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "I've already sold out of my wares, and the carnival hasn't even begun. I'm thinking of closing up shop so I can buy a gift for my wife and return to her in my village!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "It's not that I don't believe you, but just to be safe, I'm moving my storage! You hurry up and get out, too!" — Business Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "Let me share my wisdom! South of the floodgates is a strange vortex! It seems to be linked to another world! I offered my wisdom, so... Buy something!" — Business Scrub (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Owwwwch! That must be the Business Scrub I heard the soldiers talking about. They were saying a Deku Scrub had been hassling all the passersby. Link, do something about it! Otherwise, we can't get to the castle. If only we had some way to defend ourselves against those nuts of his." — Princess Zelda (The Minish Cap)
- "I heard there was a festival, and I came to town hoping to hawk my wares. Unfortunately, we scrubs have a tendency to spit nuts when we speak! Everyone got scared and ran away, and no one would buy anything! This is a terrible place to do business! I'm going back to my cave!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)
- "OK, ya got me! Let me make it up to ya! You can have this most deluxe of all bottles for only 20 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)
- "OK, ya got me! Let me make it up to ya! This fabulous Grip Ring is just perfect for a young mountaineer like yourself!" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)
- "Hey, do you want to fuse Kinstones with me? Well?" — Business Scrub (The Minish Cap)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 142
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Shogakukan) pg. 145
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 244