Blaino is a recurring Boss and character in The Legend of Zelda series.[note 1] Blaino appears as a Guardian in Link's Awakening and as a minor character in Oracle of Seasons. Blaino is characterized by his boxing gloves and his fitting boxing-style he uses to fight Link in both his appearances.
Blaino first appears as the Guardian of Turtle Rock, the final Dungeon of Link's Awakening. Link can defeat him with only his Sword, but Blaino is capable of blocking Link's attacks with his gloves, making it impossible for Link to attack him head-on. Being punched by Blaino sends Link back to the entrance of the Dungeon. Although there are many Guadians in Turtle Rock, Blaino is the only one not to have appeared in previous Dungeons, and is therefore the Dungeon's true Guardian. As such, a portal to the entrance appears upon his defeat.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Blaino becomes a regular character capable of speech. He lives within his boxing gym in North Horon, and will challenge Link to a boxing match for 10 Rupees. The mini-game is won by knocking him out of the ring (or lost by getting knocked out of the ring) using only fists, as items (or rings) are not allowed. If Link attempts to use an item during the minigame, the match will automatically end. As punishment, Blaino will raise the price of a match to 20 Rupees. The prize for defeating Blaino is 30 Rupees.
On his adventures, Link must win back Ricky's Gloves by defeating Blaino in a boxing match. The gloves belong to Ricky, who lost to Blaino in a boxing match, consequently losing his gloves to the boxing champion.
- Blaino's gloves are blue in Link's Awakening DX, and red in Oracle of Seasons.
- In Oracle of Seasons, Blaino takes on the accent of a typical boxer from Boston.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||マイトパンチ (Maito Panchi) (LA)||Might Punch|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Blaino is known as Might Punch in the Official The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons Perfect Guide from Versus Books. "Might Punch" is a direct translation of his Japanese name.
- "A guy named Blaino took [my gloves] when I lost a match to him." — Ricky (Oracle of Seasons)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 167 (LA) & 250 (OoS)
- "A Work-Out with Might Punch
This is the home of the, ahem, legendary champ "Might Punch."" (Official The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Seasons Perfect Guide (Versus Books) pg. 21)
- "I'm da legendary champ, Blaino! You want somt'in'? Den earn it in da ring! Will you bet 10 Rupees?" — Blaino (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Lissen up! We trade punches 'til one of us gets knocked outta da ring. And no items!" — Blaino (Oracle of Seasons)
- "If you break da rules once, da next match is for 20 Rupees. And no rings!" — Blaino (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Hyuh! I lose. You're good! Well, here's yer 30 Rupees." — Blaino (Oracle of Seasons)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Certain Victory Strategy Guide (Futabasha) (1993) pg. 28