His appearance is somewhat similar to that of a Hinox, although its behavior is quite different. It moves slowly in predictable patterns and attacks with a powerful earthquake that it causes by jumping and slamming into the ground. When it hits the ground, Boulders will drop from above and tumble towards Link. The Avalaunch will often cause multiple earthquakes in a row, leading to a torrent of rocks for Link to avoid. Not only this, but the arena where the battle takes place is littered with floor spikes, making it hard for Link to reach the Boss to connect with his Sword. The Avalaunch is also one of the few Bosses in the game that causes Link to bounce back when he connects with his blade, which may send him flying into the aforementioned spikes.
Like its namesake, the Avalaunch has a weakness to Bombs, and can be destroyed with as little as two of them.
When first entering the room it is in, Avalaunch will decry Link as being a greedy fool for desiring more power in the form of the power of color, and demand he ought to go home.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクドン (Dekudon) (LADX)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Dreamer Art Book (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 116
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 207 (LADX)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX — Prima's Official Strategy Guide (Prima Games) pg. 99
- "What a greedy fool! You want more power?! A buffoon like you might as well give up and go home!" — Avalaunch (Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch)
- "中ボス・デクドンを倒せ!" (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX Certain Victory Strategy Guide (Futabasha) (1999) pg. 113)