Prophet of Doom
Jonathan Lipow (English)
Astor, Prophet of Doom
Please helpby introducing appropriate citations.
Very little is known about Astor's life before the events of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. All that is known is that he was born and raised in a certain village in Kingdom of Hyrule and that he eventually became a powerful sorcerer and a follower of Calamity Ganon and would later align with the Yiga Clan. Shortly after a future Terrako, a miniature Guardian created by Zelda when she was young, travels to the past, the Malice that followed it possesses the dormant past Terrako, forming Harbinger Ganon. At some point Astor found Harbinger Ganon and used it to see into the future, setting his grand plan of destroying Kingdom of Hyrule into motion.
Astor first appears after the defeat of Master Kohga in Gerudo Town, disappointed at the Yiga Clan leader's incompetence. He then views a glimpse of the future through Harbinger Ganon, stating that he will not allow anyone to alter the course of the future. The seer makes himself known to the Champions during their visit to the Lost Woods, where he summons Malice clones of the Champions, called Hollows, to attack them. He then appears at the foot of Great Deku Tree, commanding the Hollows to kill Zelda. However, the Master Sword awakens for Link, who retrieves it from its pedestal and quickly defeats Astor.
After Purah begins to reactivate the Sheikah Towers, Astor commands the Yiga Clan to prevent the final tower from being activated, as it would reveal their location to the Champions. He then explains how Harbinger Ganon is a fusion of Terrako and Calamity Ganon, and that he will use its power to bring the world to its knees, though Sooga deems this statement foolish. His orders to the Yiga Clan end up unfulfilled, as the Champions are able to reactivate the final Sheikah Tower and take control of the Yiga Clan Hideout. Enraged that the seer would allow this to happen, Sooga grabs him by the neck. However, Astor calmly explains that their defeat was ordained by fate, and that if the Yiga Clan were to harm him they would make themselves enemies of Calamity Ganon.
Soon after Calamity Ganon awakens and Hyrule Castle is taken over, Astor betrays the Yiga Clan and kills large numbers of Yiga Footsoldiers, using their life energy to revive the four Blights, who failed to kill the Champions before. He tells a horrified Master Kohga and Sooga that by becoming a blood sacrifice to Calamity Ganon, they will finally become useful, summoning a Hollow of Link to do the deed. Master Kohga begins to run as Sooga advises, but changes his mind and decides to stay and fight alongside Sooga. However, their battle ends with Master Kohga fleeing to seek assistance from Zelda and Sooga presumably being killed.
Astor appears again during the battle at Fort Hateno, where he summons the Blights to attack Zelda. Link attempts to fight them off, but is quickly overwhelmed. Zelda, desperate to save Link, awakens her sealing power and incapacitates the Blights, allowing Link to destroy them once more while Astor flees.
As the Champions reclaim the Kingdom of Hyrule and begin infiltrating Hyrule Castle, Astor makes his final stand against them alongside Harbinger Ganon itself, ranting that as Calamity Ganon's right hand man, it is his destiny to destroy Link and his allies. The two are defeated, and as the Champions close in on them, Astor attempts to command Harbinger Ganon to destroy them. However, his efforts are cut short as he becomes consumed by Malice, screaming in agony as Harbinger Ganon absorbs him into itself and uses his power to transform into its true form - Calamity Ganon.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Astor is similar to the Magician, Agahnim, and Ghirahim from The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past and Skyward Sword, all being bent on reviving their masters, and later being killed by their masters. He also bears similiar motives to Yuga, intending to revive Ganon only to further their own ambitions. Unlike Yuga, Ganon only humors Astor until the Prophet's defeat at Hyrule Castle.
- Although Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is not canon to the timeline of Breath of the Wild, it is possible that Astor may be the fortune teller that predicted the return of Calamity Ganon mentioned in Zelda and King Rhoam's diaries.
- Astor's theme music contains hints of the theme music for the Fortune Teller from A Link to the Past, likely relating to Astor's power to see the future.
Prophet of Doom" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Hey, prophecy man! You missed the part where we get walloped!" — Master Kohga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "So you turned and fled. Is that it? (...) It seems that, as low as my expectations of you were, I was overly optimistic." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Well, no matter. My harbinger...show me the future." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Ah... Yes... The future as it will and must be. I will not allow anyone to alter its course." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "You vermin, how dare you destroy my handiwork? Minions, protect the remaining Hollows!" — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Kill her." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "So if they can fix that Sheikah thingamajig, what does that mean for me-I mean, us?" — Master Kohga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "That thingamajig will tell them where we are and what we're doing." — Sooga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "This Guardian is possessed by Calamity Ganon, harbinger of destruction." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "With it, I will bring this world to its knees." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "You are blind, "seer." Calamity Ganon...is not for mortals to control." — Sooga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "I am afraid we cannot overlook this failure, seer." — Sooga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Hm. Fate decides all...even this defeat. As you well know, if you decide to turn against me... ...you would make an enemy of Calamity Ganon." — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "What's your game, three-eyes?!" — Master Kohga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "A blood sacrifice for the Calamity... Fate gives you this role...and you will play it!" — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "My, you really are slow. Despite our best efforts, the enemy has only grown stronger. To succeed... we must adjust our strategy. Finally, the two of you can actually be of use - for once in your lives!" — Astor (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Master Kohga! Quickly, make your escape!" — Sooga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "I can't split-you're my best lackey!" — Master Kohga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "In that case...I will protect you, even if it costs me my life." — Sooga (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity)
- "Reports keep arriving regarding the excavation of relics. The fortune teller's predictions seem to be coming true." — King Rhoam's Journal (Breath of the Wild)
- "The return of Ganon looms—a dark force taunting us from afar. I must learn all I can about the relics so we can stop him. If the fortune-teller's prophecy is to be believed, there isn't much time left..." — Zelda's Diary (Breath of the Wild)