Accessing parts of The Surface
Location and Uses
Normally, the inhabitants of Skyloft cannot reach the Surface, and in fact its lands are simply a legend for them. However, the Ancient Tablet, when placed in the altar inside the Chamber of the Sword, allows Link to penetrate the Cloud Barrier by forming a Column of Light in each of the three regions of the surface. The tablet is broken into three parts - Emerald, Ruby and Amber. These three fragments open the way to Faron Woods, Eldin Volcano and Lanayru Desert, respectively.
List of Tablets
The Emerald Tablet is found inside the Chamber of the Sword in Skyloft. When Link first enters this place and receives the Goddess Sword, Fi materializes this tablet to give to Link and instructs him to hit the Goddess Crest with a Skyward Strike. Link does this, raising an altar in which the Emerald Tablet can be inserted. When he inserts the tablet, a break in the clouds appears in the southeastern part of The Sky and a pillar of green light radiates from it. This marks the way to Faron Woods.
- Main article: Ruby Tablet
- Main article: Amber Tablet
The Amber Tablet is found in the Earth Spring, located behind the room where Link fights Scaldera in the Earth Temple. As with the Ruby Tablet, hitting the Goddess Crest with a Skyward Strike leads to another message from the gods and the acquisition of the Amber Tablet. When the Amber Tablet is returned to the altar inside the Chamber of the Sword, the entire Ancient Tablet is reassembled and a cloud rift with a yellow light pillar appears in the southwestern part of The Sky. This marks the way to Lanayru Desert, the final continuous area of The Surface reachable from The Sky.
The complete Map of the three different pieces
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) (Collector's Edition, 2013) pg. 22
- "Master, the first thing you must do is hit the crest sitting in this room with a Skyward Strike. These blasts are formed of pure energy that charges within your blade when you lift it skyward. Once you have charged your blade, face the crest and swing your sword to send out a powerful Skyward Strike." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link, it is done. Until now, a cloud barrier created by the goddess has separated the world you know from the one below. The tablet you placed in the altar has opened a small rift in the cloud barrier. You can use it to travel through the clouds to the realm below. I have recognized you as my master, and so it is my duty to follow you wherever you may go." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "From the edge of time I guide you, the one destined to carry out the goddess's mission. The spirit maiden who descended from the clouds has passed through the Earth Spring and makes her way to a fated place. The parched desert of Lanayru... That is where the chosen will pass through the Gate of Time into a distant world." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link. It appears Zelda has cleansed herself in the waters of this fountain. Based on the information from the message I just imparted, I project she is traveling to a region known as Lanayru. If you transport this tablet back to the statue in Skyloft, a new column of light will appear that will allow you to travel to the Lanayru region. I suggest you return at once to Skyloft and then set out for the Lanayru region." — Fi (Skyward Sword)